Thursday, February 19, 2009

It is only a matter of time. It is sad to see an old friend during its last days. But, last night, T and I realized the time is now to purchase a new TV for our bedroom. The Emerson TV we have watched countless hours of TV is down to its last days. It has been acting strange since September, but now the picture is going. Last night the picture would turn into squiggly lines and become smaller.
I think I have had the TV since Christmas of 1990. I know I had the TV in my Holly Park apartment and I moved in there back in June of 1991. For Christmas, my parents did a great job of hiding the TVs (my brother and sister got one as well) from me and siblings. They left them out in the garage, in plain view of everyone, but they had the names of the neighbor girls on them. Then, Christmas morning, dad brought them in from the garage when we thought all the Christmas gifts had been opened. It was one of the greatest Christmas surprises of all time at our house.
But, it is time. The remote has no numbers on it. The TV doesn't turn on all the time when you hit the power button. Sometimes when you are flipping channels, the single digit channels are just snow. The alarm feature does not work. The TV used to wake me up for school everyday at 6am. It is time and by this weekend, there will be a new TV in our bedroom.
Thank you Emerson, your job is done. I hope the next TV we buy lasts 18 years!

No comments: