Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor Day Trip 2007! We just got back from our annual baseball trip. It was a full group this year, 8 in all. I don't think we will take the kids again next year. It was a handful with them. Normally, it is an adults only trip.
Here are a couple of pictures from the trip.
Something is missing. It was difficult to look at the NYC skyline without the WTC buildings standing over Manhattan. We did walk to Ground Zero. It was an unreal site even 6 years after the attacks. We went to the church that withstood the attacks. It has a very small sample of stuff left at the site in the days and months after Sept. 11, 2001. This was my first trip to NYC since 1999 and seeing a big hole brought back memories of that day.
After we visited Ground Zero, we hoped an a subway and went to Coney Island. Jared thought it would be neat to at Nathan's Original stand. We picked the wrong day. There was a ton of people eating hot dogs. BTW, the hot dogs were pretty good.
Sports news today: Michigan lost to Appalachian State (1AA). It is the first time a 1AA school beat a ranked 1A school. Ohio State beat YSU handily 38-6. Mogadore won 42-0 over New Middleton Springfield Friday night.
The highlight of the trip for me was visiting Monument Park at Yankee Stadium. It is really a history of baseball. One day I will be able to tell my sons about some of the people honored there. I thought of my uncle while I walked around the park. I am not sure he ever visited it, but it would be a place he would have enjoyed. I always seem to forget his birthday was Sept.1 I am always on a baseball trip on his birthday. He really got me started on visited baseball stadiums in 1991 with a trip to Chicago. I think we went to 2 games at Wrigley, 1 game at the new Comisky, and a basketball playoff game at the old Chicago stadium. I still miss him. I will post a couple of more pictures later and a full trip recap as well.
Bayou Out!


No comments: